"Gasser" model 1870 is a revolver developed and produced by the Austrian company "Rast & Gasser", initially introduced into service in the cavalry units of the Austro-Hungarian army.

"Gasser" revolver by Krastyo Asenov

"Gasser" model 1870 is a revolver developed and produced by the Austrian company "Rast & Gasser", initially introduced into service in the cavalry units of the Austro-Hungarian army. With a caliber of 11 mm. and weight 1.3 kg. the six-shot "Gasser" is a massive weapon with considerable firepower, requiring certain skills and physical strength from the shooter. Its construction resembles early Colt models and features an open frame and double-action trigger mechanism. The safety does not allow the production of an unwanted shot, which is why "Gasser" enjoys the fame of one of the safest revolvers in use. A weapon of this model was owned by Vasil Levski. When looking more closely at the bronze figure of the Apostle from the monument in Karlovo, one can recognize exactly such a "Gasser" model of 1870 in his right hand.


The revolver displayed in the exposition of the National History Museum was owned by Krastyo Asenov, nephew of the legendary voivode Hadji Dimitar and a participant in the Macedonian-Odrina revolutionary movement. Krastyo Asenov, nicknamed the Bear, is the youngest child of Hadji Dimitar's brother, Hadji Petar Asenov, born in Sliven on the eve of the Liberation War. He studied at the Varna Boys' High School, then enrolled as a student at the Higher School in Sofia, where he met Gotse Delchev. Only at the age of 18, Krastyo Asenov, faithful to his inherited patriotism and rebellious spirit, joined the ranks of the Macedonian-Odrina revolutionary organization. He played a key role in the "Miss Stone" affair, and was later appointed chief voivode in the Kukush region, where he displayed his indomitable fighting spirit to the fullest extent in heavy battles.

The "Bombareka", as Asenov calls his "Gasser", he gave to Zheko Popov from the village of Kosten, Slivensko, his classmate at the Varna Boys' High School, roommate and close friend. Kept in the Popov family, the revolver was donated to the National History Museum in 1995 and became part of its permanent exhibit.

БългарскиEnglish