Clock mechanism from the clock tower in Gabrovo

The economic boom during the Renaissance had its most visible manifestations in the Bulgarian cities. Their population is increasing significantly, their social, economic, architectural and urban appearance is changing. The clock towers became a new element of the urban landscape. Their emergence is the result of purely pragmatic needs – the city clock responds to the need to standardize the working day and regulate competition between craftsmen and merchants. With the strikes of his bell the sahat (the clock) measures the time for work and rest, sets the rhythm of life in the settlement and at the same time becomes a significant symbol of wealth, progress and the onset of the "New Time".  

Clock towers became more common in cities in the 18th century, their construction was usually financed by the local population, and their architecture was originally a type with a stone-built square base and a pointed conical roof, resembling the roof of a minaret. The dial is not a mandatory element at all, the clock very often measures the hours only with the strikes of its bell. Over time, the Bulgarian master builders began to put their own aesthetic sense into the towers they built, in which a baroque influence is clearly discernible.

The clock tower, which can still be seen today in the center of Gabrovo, was built in 1835 with the money of the local guilds. The mechanism was made by the Gabrovo master Ivan Sahatchiyata, it has two 30 kg maces. each and roll every day. The dial and hands were initially missing, at the beginning of the XNUMXth century an additional mechanism and a dial with Roman numerals were made.

Scroll to Top